Golden, crispy, crunchy, skinny egg rolls filled with garlic aroused ground pork and veggies. Masarap!
TOP TEN REASONS TO MAKE FILIPINO LUMPIA
10. It doesn't matter what season, or month, or time of year, Lumpia are always in vogue!
9. One bite sums up everything you've always loved about Asian food.
8. Just saying Lumpia (LOOM-pya) makes you smile.
7. When socializing you get to say, "Yeah, I whipped up fantastic Filipino appies again last week".
6. There's a great deal of satisfaction in doing the lay, plop, shape, tuck, roll, brush, stack.
5. Perfecting folding Lumpia gives you an unfair advantage when it comes to origami.
4. They're made using a tried and true, age-old, traditional, family recipe.
3. You too get to celebrate my enthusiastic love for my Filipino, Frizzle family heritage. Fo' shizzle.
2. Your friends and kinfolk will appreciate you, just a teensy weensy bit more.
1. When someone takes their first bite of Lumpia, they flash you the silliest most satisfied grin ever.
for sharing her parents special Lumpia recipe and inspiring me to hone my own version.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1 cup jicama or *cabbage, chopped very fine in a food processor
1 cup rutabaga or turnip, chopped very fine in a food processor
1/2 cup young carrots, chopped very fine in a food processor
1 small, sweet onion, chopped very fine in a food processor
5 plump garlic cloves, minced, or chopped very fine in a food processor
1 egg, beaten
5 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, white or brown
1 - 2 tablespoons sambal oelek or other Asian chile paste
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 generous teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
2 cups or more vegetable oil for frying