Thursday, July 21, 2011
Fudge popsicles......Chewy, fudgy, chocolatey, creamily, dreamily delicious frozen summer treats on a stick. Don't you wish that summer would always be here?
TOP TEN REASONS TO MAKE OLD-FASHIONED FUDGESICLES
10. It's time to roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.
9. You get to go to the dollar store for some of those colourful popsicle molds with cute handles.
8. It's been forever since you've sunk your teeth into icy, chewy, fudgy deliciousness.
7. They're made with milk. They must be loaded with calcium. Calcium is good for you.
6. They're ridiculously easy to make.
5. They keep forever in the freezer. (hahahaha! like they'll last more than a day!)
4. Significant others will flash you the most seductive look you've seen in years.
(But, alas, don't forget that look of love is for the fudgesicle, not you)
3. If someone just drops by you can say, "Would you like a homemade fudgesicle?"
2. It's fun to watch everyone's eyes roll back in pleasure when they taste these babies.
1. No one will really ever know how many you made.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thanks to Deb of SmittenKitchen.com and in turn to Matt (who started this particular snowball of handcrafted goodness on a stick) of MattBites.com for the inspiration, with happy appreciation and gratitude for your renditions of this sublime summer treat.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Makes enough to fill 12 of the little 2-ounce/each popsicle molds.
5 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (or Ovaltine for a malty twist)
2 1/2 cups whole milk (or when company comes, 2 cups milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream)
1/2 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
Melt chocolate chips in medium pot, over low heat, stirring, until melty smooth. Watch carefully, chocolate should not heat, only melt. Whisk in sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, milk and salt. Increase heat to medium. Cook mixture, stirring or whisking, until it thickens, 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter until combined.
Set aside to cool slightly. Pour into popsicle molds. Let cool to room temperature. Freeze.
Unmold. Lick. Bite. Chew. Smile. Lick. Bite. Giggle. Chew. Repeat.