SPICY NUTS 'N BOLTS
Friday, June 11, 2021
A gloriously buttery, crunchy, rahther kicky version of that old, down-home, snack of snacks, Nuts and Bolts. It's not just for Christmas, anymore! Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer......Crunch, crunch.
TOP TEN REASONS TO MAKE SPICY NUTS 'N BOLTS
10. They are crazy delicious anytime of year.
9. They're damn good with an icy brewski, or tasty cocktail.
8. They are soooo easy peasy to make ahead.
7. Your friends and family will appreciate you just a teensy, weensy bit more.
6. You can nibble them, crunch them, or scarf them down.
5. Short, long, square, round......they are a bodacious muddle of goodness.
4. They make a boom-shaka-laka hostess gift.
3. Every single biteful is a little bit different than the last, salty, sweet, nutty, buttery....
2. You'll be in the running to win the coveted SPICY CRUNCH award.
1. They will make you smile out loud when you serve them.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
SPICY NUTS 'N BOLTS ~ Makes 22 cups
5 cups Life cereal
4 cups Corn Chex
3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
2 cups Shreddies
3 cups cashews
3 cups pretzel sticks
2 cups sesame sticks
1 pound butter
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Tabasco
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Heat oven to 275-285F.
Put all cereals, cashews, pretzels and sesame sticks in a large roaster. Gently mix to evenly combine.
Place butter in a heavy pot, over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add all spices, and stir, stir, stir.
Pour sauce over cereal mixture in 1/2 cup increments, mixing gently but thoroughly, with spatula, after each addition, until spice butter is evenly distributed.
Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour, or so, being sure to swoop and scoop up the cereal mixture from the bottom of the roaster so as to best distribute all that glorious spice butter.
Now that your kitchen is smiling because of the aroma party that you have created, once you take the Nuts 'N Bolts out of the oven, you better do a taste test, just 'cuz you can.
Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, store in an airtight container, and serve with a smile, and a song.